In the 19th century covered bridges started popping up everywhere in Maine. The main purpose for these bridges was to help horse drawn carriages cross our bustling rivers without being taken down stream.
The covers on the bridges were built to help the bridge stay protected from Maine’s harsh elements, that would rot and destroy the wood. Most of these bridges were constructed in the mid 1800’s up to the early1900’s, and at one point there were 120 covered bridges in Maine.
Through the years due to the elements, ice, snow, fires and progress, most of the covered bridges are now gone. There are just 9 covered bridges left in Maine, 6 of them are in Western Maine’s Lakes and Mountains, and 2 are still open for local traffic to use after reinforcements have been implemented.
From the most photographed and painted bridge, The Sunday River Bridge or otherwise known as the “Artist’s Bridge” to the shortest covered bridge in Maine, The Lovejoy Bridge in South Andover, Maine has you “Covered”.
Fall is the perfect time to take in the beauty and history of these amazing structures. The trees are fiery red and yellow and Maine’s wildlife is out and about.
Tour Maine’s Covered Bridges and take in the beauty and history of these wonderful attractions.