Maine is the epitome of the great outdoors! Maine is famous for its clean lakes and rivers, forests and impeccable beauty, perfect for all sorts of sportsman. Fishing and hunting are part of Maine’s history and a pastime that people continue to participate in every year. If you haven’t fly-fished in Maine or if you haven’t been fly fishing period, here are a few reasons to start!
1. 1. Maine is beautiful. Finding rivers and lakes to fly fish on in Maine’s lakes and mountains region allows you to take in the pristine lakes and awe-inspiring mountains views in a way where you feel like you are one with nature. The unparalleled surroundings are stunning.
2. It’s relaxing. Sometimes we allow our lives to get a little too busy and cluttered. We constantly have our phones with us and computers on, sometimes it’s important to make sure you disconnect. Fly fishing takes time and patience. When you are spending that time taking in the scenery and honing your craft it, gives you a chance to take it all in, think and finally relax.
4. It’s family friendly. Fly fishing can be something the whole family does. Many Maine guides offer courses for children. Fly fishing provides the family with an activity they can do that promotes quality time spent with your children. It also allows you to explore Maine, picnic, camp and check out other local activities as a family.
5. Other local activities! Western Maine lakes and mountains offer opportunities for hiking, sightseeing, exploring, biking, picnicking, swimming, skiing and more. As long as you are in the area fly fishing check out some of the other local activities.
6. It’s rich in history and tradition. Rangeley’s rich outdoor sporting history, traditions and personalities come alive at the Rangeley Outdoor Sporting and Heritage Museum..
7. It’s close! The great part about fly fishing in Western Maine is that, fishing is only a couple hours or less away from Portland, Maine. This means you can take a day trip when short on time to get some fly fishing in.
8. Multi-day fishing excursions! If you are looking for a fly fishing trip there are plenty of tours/trips to choose from. Call your local Maine Fishing Guide to find out more about multi-day tours.
9. Hatches. There are several hatches that happen throughout the year. They are stunning to see and when a hatch all of a sudden surrounds you and you see the fish start jumping it’s the most amazing sight. And, it just happens to be the perfect time for you to start fly fishing. Note: Pay close attention to the type of hatch it is, this will help you choose your fly and help you catch a fish!
10.FISH! If you love fish, you should try fly fishing. It’s really what fishing is all about right? If you want to enjoy fish like you never have before, you have to catch it yourself!