The River Valley towns of Andover, Byron, Canton, Carthage, Dixfield, Hanover, Mexico, Peru, Roxbury, and Rumford are typical of New England with historic buildings, tree-lined streets, village greens, white-steeple churches, and country stores.
- The highest waterfalls east of Niagara, Pennacook Falls, plunge 180 feet over a solid granite bank in Rumford, also home of former Secretary of State and US Senator Edmund Muskie.
- The area boosts spectacular views from Mount Zicron with three more scenic waterfalls located throughout the region: Angel Falls in Byron, and Step Falls, Screw Auger Falls, and Mother Walker Falls all in Grafton State Park, as well as three access sites to the Appalachian Trail.
- Andover is home of the Lovejoy Covered Bridge, one of six within the Lakes & Mountains Region.
- Gold was discovered in Byron in the 1830s and today people still enjoy panning for gold along the branches of the Swift River. The Androscoggin, Ellis, and Swift rivers offer many recreational opportunities for young and old alike.
- Summer offers visitors access to public beaches, hiking, mines and gold-panning, golfing, canoeing, boating, and fishing.
- Winter offers skating, snowmobiling, ice-fishing, snow tubing, snow-shoeing, and downhill and cross-country skiing. The River Valley is home to Black Mountain of Maine, one of the finest family winter sports facilities in Maine and the chosen venue for alpine and Nordic races and national cross-country skiing championships, which offer affordable family skiing, snowboarding, Nordic skiing and tubing. Miles of snowmobiles trails are serviced by local clubs and the season opens in February with the Oxford County ARC Annual Snowmobile Ride and the Blessing of the Sleds.
The area’s scenic sites and recreational activities, combined with the many annual events, such as Andover Olde Home Days in August, when the Ancient Ones conduct their living history, the month-long Christmas in the Valley celebration, alpine and Nordic Ski racing and championships, Sassi Memorial XC Classic, and Moontide Water Festival will delight any visitor to the River Valley.
Click here for the official River Valley Chamber of Commerce site.